Friday, October 8, 2010

A year ago

This time last year we were heading for California.  If you have never taken a road trip like this one, you should consider it. Our country is so beautiful!  We took the southern route (I-20-I-10).  For us Texans, we're halfway there without leaving our state.  El Paso is the halfway point!  The next city after the El Paso/Las Cruces area is Tucson.  There is nothing but little ghost town/truck stops and the beautiful desert and mountains. I realized that I really do like the Southwest!
 
We only spent a short time in California before heading back via I-15 to I-40.  There really is a sign at the beginning of I-40 that reads, "Wilmington, NC 2,554 mi.".  One of these days I'll get to go back and one of the things on my list is to get a picture of that sign! ( I have a sizable list of things that I didn't get to see and do.) 

My favorite stop was the trip to the Grand Canyon. Add one more item to that list.  I would love to hike down to the bottom and back up.  That place amazes me. Everyone should take a vacation there at least once in their lifetime. Yes, I know it's a big hole in the ground and it's still there every time that I pull up the picture, but I am in awe.  How can you see this wonder and not believe in God?  I just will never understand that one.

Next we headed back to Big D. After passing through the Petrified Forest and the Painted Desert, we stopped and stood on a corner in Winslow, Arizona.  That was a blast. I love the way the towns on Route 66 have embraced the nostalgia of the road.  I-40 and Route 66 are the same for some stretches of road and others they run parallel.  It's easy to exit and ride Route 66 through some of the small towns along the way.
 
We crossed the Continental Divide and passed through Albuquerque and the Sandia  Mountains. We stopped in Santa Rosa, New Mexico and ate the the Lake City Diner. It was great!  I"ll have to see the Blue Hole the next time.

Next stop Amarillo and The Big Texan. That was fun but I didn't get to try the steak!

Here's something silly.  We have been "eating out" for a week and we stop at Lindsay, TX to get barbecue! Now you know how I started my last weight spiral that I am now paying for!!

No comments:

Post a Comment